Saturday, March 29, 2014

Check Out My Tools... My 2.0 Tools ;)

Designing Lessons Using the Correct Affordances Can Make All the Difference 


In Summer of 2013, I took an online class in which I had to design a lesson plan for my school or class to implement BUT I could only use web 1.0 tools.  Now, I have to say that when we normally think about the internet and sharing on the internet...what comes to mind? Facebook, Blogging, Twitter, Google Docs, etc. I was unable to use any of those kinds of internet based structures.  

My Plan was this... 

Educational Purpose of Project:  In this project, students are able to have a hands on learning experience to be published authors. The Newsletter Connection provides students with an opportunity to publish their written work.  Students will be motivated to improve and utilize their writing skills in order to have their work published in the school’s electronic newsletter.  Students will submit their work to an online website set up by the school to allow other schools around the world to vote for which articles, poems, songs, etc. to make the next issue.  There will be a two weeks timeline to submit work and two weeks for voting to take place.  Students are able to reflect upon 
their work by reading the comments submitted by the voters. 

I took what I had at the time to produce this lesson and make it happen... NVU ( a web design software program..Cheap version of Dreamweaver) was being used. 

Description of Project Plan:  Newsletter Connection is a project for students to submit work to an online website for other schools to comment and vote for the best work to be published in the schools newsletter. For example, if I wish to have my students at a local elementary school make a newsletter for the schools I would create a profile for my school and select a topic for the students to write about.
Example: Flint Hill Elementary students will now have the opportunity to be published authors! Fifth grade language arts classes will be responsible for establishing the quarterly theme, reading the submitted work and selecting appropriate samples, contacting the authors if changes need to be made, and organizing the published pieces on the newsletter.  All students K-6 are eligible to submit work connecting to the given theme.  Submissions will be collected for a month and then displayed for a month.  Each quarter the cycle will repeat.

            Teachers at a school that wishes to implement this type of project must set up an account to the Newsletter Connection Website.  After submitting a form to the website a confirmation email will be sent back to the teacher letting them know they are all set up to participate and a name for them to use when submitting their entries (flinthill k-6). There will be a strict timeline that all classes must follow.   Students will then be able to submit their work based on the topic that is set up by the school.  Other schools that are signed up on this website will be able to vote for your submission.  The voters are also able to leave positive and constructive feedback to each entry.
            Once the submissions are voted upon and the voting has ended, the website will let the teacher know which articles have won.  The teacher will then be able to place the winning articles into a template to publish or allow a news team at their school to conduct this activity.
            This activity could go on multiple times during the year, either monthly or quarterly. 


Now... step to WEB 2.0 TOOLS..

I could take this design make it into a newsletter that is collaborated on using wikispaces, blogger, google sites... You NAME it I could make my school newsletter by allowing my students to use the tools that allow them to collaborate, communicate and design together or apart. 

With the upgrading of the internet tools, I could take my design to allow people around the world to view our school newsletter, add videos, announcements daily- the skys the limit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment